[ale] that stippled gray X background

hirsch at zapmedia.com hirsch at zapmedia.com
Thu Jun 28 09:31:54 EDT 2001

Does anyone know their way around the XFree X server?  I'm trying to
replace the ugly default X background with something nicer (like, say,
solid black).  I know how to set the background after X starts, either
with xsetroot or with an xlib call, but I still see the stippled
background first.  I haven't found a run time parameter.

I figure it must be in the source code somewhere, but I'm having
trouble finding it.  The code base is huge.

If y'all have any pointers I'd love to hear them.

Thanks,

Michael