[ale] kernel nfs keeping mount point busy

Transam@cavu.com transam at cavu.com
Mon Jul 9 02:46:21 EDT 2001

"Ben Coleman" <oloryn at benshome.net> said

> I recently installed Slackware 8.0/Kernel 2.4.5 on one of my boxes, and
> it's running the kernel NFS server.  One of the things I have set up in
> /exports on this machine is the cdrom drive (my other Linux boxes are
> in the basement, accessed remotely, and it's easier to mount a needed
> CDROM in this machine, and then NFS mount from the other machine than
> it is to go downstairs and stick the CDROM in the local drive).
> Anyhow, one thing I'm finding new is that once I mount a CDROM in the
> drive, I can't umount it - attempting a umount returns a 'device is
> busy' error message.  A bit of troubleshooting leads me to believe that
> it's the kernel nfs server that's keeping the mount point busy.

Only time will tell.

Translation: Assume that the kernel NFS implementation behaves similarly
to most NFS servers.  The NFS server code will keep files open until
they have not been accessed for a certain length of time.  Then they
will be closed.

As I recall, the timeouts can be set in the mount command.

Of course, with a user NFS implementation you could just kill the server
processes.

How do you like Slackware 8.0?  Are you using the 2.2 or 2.4 kernel?
I'll be ordering it this week.

> What I haven't figured out yet is how to get the nfs server to let go
> of the mount without rebooting.  Ideas, anyone?
> --
> Ben Coleman oloryn at benshome.net      | The attempt to legislatively
> http://oloryn.home.mindspring.com/   | micromanage equality results, at
> Amateur Radio NJ8J                   | best, in equal misery for all.

Bob Toxen
transam at cavu.com                       [Bob's ALE Bulk email]
bob at cavu.com