[ale] router not on the network?

hirsch at zapmedia.com hirsch at zapmedia.com
Tue Jan 30 15:57:11 EST 2001

I recently tried to put a linux box on a network that had a
configuration I'd never seen.  It was one of those "it worked fine for
my Windows laptop, why doesn't it work for Linux" things.

The setup:

IP address: a.b.c.d
netmask:    a.b.c.0
gateway:    x.y.z.t

So the gateway was not on the lan.  I gather there is some firewall
that is doing some kind of transparent NAT on onto the internet.
/sbin/route would not let me configure a gateway that can't be
reached, so I was hosed.

Have you ever seen this setup before?  Someone mumbled that there was
a networking patch for this, but I'd never heard of it.

Now Linux looks bad in this guy's eye because it can't do what Windows
did.  I'm guessing that this is some MS extension to IP, but I really
don't know.

Thanks in advance,