[ale] 486/8 meg memory as a gateway?

Dan Newcombe Newcombe at mordor.clayton.edu
Fri Jan 26 12:16:50 EST 2001

On Fri, 26 Jan 2001, Jeff Hubbs wrote:
> Not the network guru I wish I was, but as a data point I can tell you that a
> 486/DX33 with 12MB can act as a masquerading firewall for a DSL line and
> push through a sustained 1300Kb/s.

I've often wondered about the option in the kernel that says CPU can't
keep up with the network load.  I want that kinda bandwidth.

As to the original question, you may have a problem installing depending
on what hardware it has.  I have a 486-DX4-100 notebook w/12M I was gonna
make into a router.  No CD drive and all the network installs required 16M
of RAM (well RedHat did).  Guess I need to look into Mandrake or
something.

Funny thing is the notebook doesn't recognize the hard drive correctly
thanks to a crappy bios - but if I boot off a floppy with Linux, it has no
problem then.