[ale] VNCserver

Joseph A. Knapka jknapka at earthlink.net
Thu Jan 25 17:03:18 EST 2001

> Chris Fowler wrote:
>
> I believe that there was some discussion on getting VNCserver to take
> control of the Xserver and not start its own Xserver.  Can someone
> tell me how to do that.

You need something called "x0rfbserver", which can be found in the
"contributed" section of the AT&T VNC site at
http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/contribs.html

When last I tried this, it was rather slow, and could not
deal with pallettized displays: your X server MUST be
running with some truecolor visual, even if it's only
8 bits. Possibly a more recent version is available than
the one I tried.

HTH,

-- Joe Knapka