[ale] Linuxgruven

James Kinney jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Thu Jan 25 07:56:58 EST 2001

I thought this bunch had been put to bed some time ago on this list.
My turn:

I have been both an employee and an employer. As an employee, if the job I
am being told to do is more than I can do due to training issues, I tell
my boss. I make it clear that I am willing to "go the extra mile" and push
my abilities further. My employers have the responsibility to decide
whether the investment in my intensive training course is justified, or
whether it make more sense to hire/contract someone else with those
capabilities. If the choice is to expand my capabilities with
training/certification, my value to the organization increases. I expect
my compensation to reflect this. And my employer expects the same. That is
why they made the investment in my training.

As an employer, I have to choose between lower cost, less capable people
and higher cost, more capable people. Sometimes, it makes sense to get the
less expensive person, invest some training resources, give a bonus on
successfull completion and a merit pay raise at then  end of an evaluation
period. This is a good process for employee retention. It shows they are
valuable assets. In most organizations, they are the only real assets. The
rest is a bean-counter scam. If an employee gets a new pile of letters
after their last name on my corporate expense account and then walks out
the door, I want the heads of the management team who were not aware of
this persons dissatisfaction with their job. This is a fault of the
management for not providing the appropriate work environment for the
employees that inspires loyalty. Many employers have a training
reimbursment program that will repay employees for course work they pay
out of pocket for that will benefit the organization. Also, most states
have laws that prohibit time-based employment contracts for people that
are real employees, not contractors.

Everything about Linuxgruven smells of nothing more than a employment
scam. Maybe at some point they will develop into a real "Linux School"
that has community merit. But for now, what they propose is just like the
"Talent Agency" that want to put your kid in the movies. All you need is a
stack of 8x10" head shots with statistics and resume on the back, that
they provide for a small fee of $1200/100 and a sitting fee of $100 at the
interview.

If anyone is so convinced they need a certificate, get a job, save some
cash, invest in yourself and fund your own training. Then go job hunting.

JimK
Local Net Solutions