[ale] Home network with ADSL? (with a twist)

Steve Hamlin steve at hamlinX.com
Sat Jan 20 16:07:49 EST 2001

On Sat, 20 Jan 2001, Thompson Freeman wrote:

> I cann't say that I know of a networking solution for '98, but if you

Windows 98 SE and Windows ME come with something called Internet
Connection Sharing (ICS).  ICS provides NAT (aka IP masquerading), and
can even act as a simple DHCP server.

While certainly not as robust as a linux/bsd solution, my roomate
ran 98 SE as our gateway router for 6 months without problems.  Just be
sure to set up file and print shares with security in mind (or shut them
off altogether).

Steve