[ale] Palm/PDA devices and Linux

James CE Johnson jcej at tragus.org
Sat Jan 20 12:21:45 EST 2001

jpilot has always annoyed me because its little progress window insists on
popping itself up on top of whatever else I happen to be doing.

I generally prefer unattended syncs.  There's an application called
"AutoSync" that you can load on your PalmOS device to schedule syncs.  On your
Linux host you would run something like pilot-xfer in an infinite loop waiting
for a sync request from the device.  Or you can run pppd on your host & setup
ip-up to invoke pilot-xfer.

<shameless_plug>
I have a Perl application written around the pilot-link Perl5 module that I use
for syncing.  It has a couple of basic plugins for AvantGo, email and some other
stuff.  Available at
http://tragus.org/~jcej/public/projects/palm/perlot-current.tgz
</shameless_plug>