[ale] System.map

scott thomason scott at industrial-linux.org
Thu Jan 18 10:44:03 EST 2001

It's my understanding that with modern kernels (including recent 2.2.x releases), System.map is unnecessary unless you're trying to translate kernel oopses into symbolic names to make debugging easier. So if you aren't planning on debugging kernel problems, System.map is unnecessary. I intentionally read up on this in the 2.4 kernel doc, as I have often wondered about it. However, I'm only 90% certain. Comments, anyone?
---scott