[ale] NetScape Bookmarks Updating?

Vernard Martin vernard at cc.gatech.edu
Tue Jan 16 10:34:23 EST 2001

> I'm running NetScape 4.73 under Debian Linux 2.2.  Lately, NetScape
> keeps popping up an error box indicating that bookmarks have changed and
> are being reloaded.  Has anyone ever encountered this, and if so could
> you fix it and how?

This is usually a sign thta you have more than one copy of netscape running
simultaneously. If netscape crashed at some point, it can leave a copy of
itself floating around that doesn't appear to be doing any harm but is
conflicting with the bookmarks.html file that is in your $HOME/.netscape
directory. You can do a "ps -aux | grep netscape" to see how many copies you
hvae running. You should hvae only one.

I have found that this happens quite a bit with the 4.X versions of netscape
especially if you try to run lots of java apps.

hope this helps

Vernard