[ale] [OT hardware] floppy problems

Wandered Inn esoteric at denali.atlnet.com
Tue Jan 16 08:36:50 EST 2001

I am attempting to backup my bios on my Linux box and the tool asus
provides runs under dos.  So, I created a dos bootable floppy, copy the
aflash.exe program to the floppy (under Windows).  Wierd thing is, when
I boot the machine from floppy and attempt to backup the bios, it fails
and the floppy is corrupted.  I then decide to see if maybe it was the
aflash.exe program, so I re-created a dos bootable floppy, booted via it
and then attempted to copy command.com to another file name.  It failed
and corrupted the floppy as well.

Wierd thing is, this floppy has worked fine for a good year or so under
Linux and still works fine.  Certainly I don't have a lin-floppy? :)

Anyway, anyone seen anything like this?  Should I replace the drive?

I need to back up my bios and then upgrade it and I certainly don't want
to attempt this under the current situation.

Thanks.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at denali.atlnet.com

The
hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his
intelligence."
- Albert Einstein