[ale] *src.rpm and .rpm files

James Kinney jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Sun Jan 14 20:05:07 EST 2001

When you see *.src.rpm, it is a non-compiled source file. You have to
compile it and then install the binary.

To install the *.src.rpm :
rpm -ivh *.src.rpm
it gets put in various places in /usr/src/redhat. There is the spec file
which is used to build the binary placedin /usr/src/redhat/SPECS/*.spec,
the source file, tar.gz or tar.bz2, and all the patches, are in
/usr/src/redhat/SOURCES.

To compile:
cd /usr/src/redhat/SPECS
rpm -ba foo.spec

it will put the new src.rpm file /usr/src/redhat/SRPMS
and the binary file(s) in /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/[arch]
where [arch] is i386, i486, i586, i686, arm, etc.

Install the new binary with rpm -ivh /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/[arch]/foo.rpm
if new,
or rpm -Uvh /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/[arch]/foo.rpm if upgrading or install
or rpm -Fvh /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/[arch]foo.rpm to only upgrade if already
a version installed

JimK
Local Net Solutions