[ale] fetchmail

darrell at golliher.net darrell at golliher.net
Sat Jan 13 01:11:33 EST 2001

On Fri, 12 Jan 2001, I.M. wrote:

> Hi all.
>
> Am trying to get fetchmail to work. I have several different email accounts (don't most of us), and I have tried to get into every account via fetchmail 5.0.3;
>
> fetchmail -kvu my_user_name mail_server
>
> Everything works just marvy. Determines the server type like it should, acknowledges my user name (on some servers, the -v option lets me even see that the mail server has acknowledged my user name as valid, how's that for security?), then gets to the password and %!@# the bed. I have tried to access 5 email accounts (including this one, which I obviously know the password to, or I wouldn't be in here writing this) on 5 different mail servers. One I could understand, but not all 5.
>
> What on earth am I doing wrong? I don't want to be stuck having to use a browser to access my email all the time. I have already emailed my ISP to see if any of this might be their screw-up, but I don't think so.
>
> Thanks muchly for any assistance.

  I just fired up fetchmail today for the first time.  It didn't work for
me until I a) started sendmail b) told sendmail where to put the mail
since my user account at my ISP is different from the userid on my Linux
box.  A simple mail alias fixed that right up.  I'm by not means an
experienced fetchmail user, but maybe these two things might help you.

Darrell Golliher                 Personal email: darrell at golliher.net
http://www.coe.uga.edu/~golliher     Work email: golliher at coe.uga.edu