[ale] dhclient

Michael H. Warfield mhw at wittsend.com
Thu Jan 11 17:19:45 EST 2001

On Thu, Jan 11, 2001 at 05:20:49PM -0500, Chris Fowler wrote:
> It seems like I must assign some arbitrary IP address to eth0 before I can
> use dhclient.  Does that sound normal?

	No.  Not at all.  But I prefer dhcpcd and haven't been using
dhcpclient.  I'm also not aware of pump requiring this either.

	Seems like I do recall some old problem with a change in the
way certain kernels handled broadcasts and assigning a NULL address
to an interface.  What kernel version are you running and what version
of dhcpclient (I'm assuming that's the one that comes with the ISC
dhcp package).

  (The Mad Wizard)      |  (678) 463-0932   |  http://www.wittsend.com/mhw/