[ale] DHCP - please help!

Jonathan Feldman Jonathan at chathamcounty.org
Mon Jan 8 10:34:16 EST 2001

Not to be a bull in a china shop here, but did you guys take
traces before you started with the fisticuffs? :)

I am assuming that his Win machine is DHCP'ing correctly, no?
So, take a trace of its DHCP traffic upon renewal of the lease.
Next, compare this to what your Linux machine traffic looks like.
My guess is that the problem will quickly become apparent
when you compare the two traces.

A hint about taking the traces: don't take the trace while you boot.
Instead, boot first, then start your trace.  Then, invoke dhcpcd, and stop
the trace after you get your error message.  Do the same thing with your Win box.

This will enable you to capture less, and analyze more effectively, FWIW.  Lemme know if you need a hand interpreting the traces; good luck!

--Jonathan
Jonathan Feldman
Chief Technical Manager, Chatham County ICS http://chathamcounty.org
Contributing Editor, Network Computing Magazine http://nwc.com
"Teach Yourself Network Troubleshooting"
"Network+ Exam Guide" http://feldman.org

>>> "Christopher Bergeron" <christopher at bergeron.com> 01/07 2:56 PM >>>
My roommate has decided to set up his own gateway (DHCP) to dole out IP
addresses to everyone at home.   For some reason _BOTH_ of my linux machines
hang when trying to get a DHCP address at startup.  When I manually load the
ethernet modules, then ifconfig eth0 up, etc. I get networking working just
fine.  Hes using a windows box as the gateway, and I think the problem is a
broken dHCP implementation on that Wincrap machine.  Am I mistaken?  This
has become an in-house holy war.

Here's some info on the machine in question:

NIC #1 (to internal network):
IP: 10.10.10.10
DNS: 24.4.125.33, 24.4.125.34
HOSTNAME: cc249386-a
DOMAIN: chmbl1.ga.home.com
NO GATEWAY

NIC #2 (to cable modem):
IP: 24.6.48.37
DNS: 24.4.125.33, 24.4.125.34
HOSTNAME: cc249386-a
DOMAIN: chmbl1.ga.home.com
GATEWAY: 24.6.48.1

Someone please help!  This is driving me absolutely INSANE!!!  My win2k box
(dual boot with linux mentioned above) is set for DHCP and works fine, but
when I boot linux (redhat) it hangs at eth0 init.  My other linux box is
Slackware 7.1;

ANY SUGGESTIONS?!

thank you greatly in advance...