[ale] VMWare and LILO configuration

Wandered Inn esoteric at denali.atlnet.com
Sun Jan 7 22:15:49 EST 2001

David Corbin wrote:

> Subba Rao wrote:
> > >

> > I want to install the Guest OSs on the raw disks such as /dev/hda5.../dev/hdb4
> > etc. In case I update my Linux to 2.4 at a later date, the guest OS installation
> > and data would not have to be reinstalled.
>
> What makes you think that you would have to re-install because you
> change the kernel?

As I understand it, vmware has precompiled modules for various kernels.
When you install it, if it doesn't find matching kernel/module setup,
it's going to request you to reinstall using the compile option.  I had
problems with vmware on my box and the vmware support folks had me
re-install with the compile version, which I assume compiles the modules
against your existing kernel.  After I re-installed using this process,
all went well.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at denali.atlnet.com

The
hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his
intelligence."
- Albert Einstein