[ale] DHCP - please help!

Les Neste lesneste at atlnewmedia.com
Sun Jan 7 14:54:58 EST 2001

Good news and bad news.  The good news is you're not crazy, the bad news is
you may have to give up some ego points to your roommate because I'm having
almost exactly the same problem without Windows in the loop.

Below is a copy of a post describing my situation.  I expect I could figure
this out myself, but my plan is to go to the HW Forum at the Linux General
Store this Tuesday and see if someone there has already been down this path
and knows the answer.

I'd appreciate it if you let me know if and how you work this out.  Good luck!

>I'm configuring a Linux box to serve as a gateway.  Obviously, the system
has two net cards in it.  One net card goes to my DSL provider where it
uses DHCP to get an IP addr etc.  The other net card goes to a LAN.

>I'm getting some funky behavior as follows: if I take out the card for the
LAN side, the DHCP request works fine and I'm up and running on the net at
large.  However, if I put the second card in, even if it's not connected to
anything, the DHCP request fails.

>Does anyone have experience with this?  Any hints?
>
>The latest UNIX System Administrators Guide (the purple book) says
RedHat's DHCP client has a problem in which rather than broadcasting the
requisite all 1's for a DHCP request, it first applies the net mask, and
I'm wondering if this is what happens with the second card -- the second
card creates a net mask which the DCHP client uses, resulting in an
improperly-formatted DHCP DISCOVERY broadcast?

>System:
>
>RedHat 6.2, P133, 128MB RAM, huge HD, pretty much a stock server
installation except I added X and CVS.

At 02:56 PM 1/7/2001 -0500, Christopher Bergeron wrote:
>My roommate has decided to set up his own gateway (DHCP) to dole out IP
>addresses to everyone at home.   For some reason _BOTH_ of my linux machines
>hang when trying to get a DHCP address at startup.  When I manually load the
>ethernet modules, then ifconfig eth0 up, etc. I get networking working just
>fine.  Hes using a windows box as the gateway, and I think the problem is a
>broken dHCP implementation on that Wincrap machine.  Am I mistaken?  This
>has become an in-house holy war.

Les Neste
Cellphone 678-778-0382
Web http://www.lesneste.com