[ale] Philosophy of "root"

David Corbin dcorbin at machturtle.com
Sun Jan 7 12:58:20 EST 2001

I understand that "being root all the time" is a bad and dangerous
thing.  I spend a fair amount of time just doing various system
maintenance.  Most distributions set up a lot of the file system with
root/root uid/gid.  Up until now, I just su-ed to root when I need to.
I'm wonder if it is better to change assorted files to another group
(and chmod g+sw), and add my userid to that group.   Then I could do
more without being root.  (I suppose I could just add myself to the root
group).

The question is, which is a better thing to do from a security/system
mgmt. point of view.

Thanks.
--
David Corbin