[ale] Adaptec 29160 termination problems

Gary S. Mackay Gary at EdisonInfo.com
Sat Jan 6 17:41:36 EST 2001

I just built a new server using the Adaptec 29160 SCSI card with an IBM
UltraStor 18gig drive. The drive is connected to the 68pin primary connector.
All was fine until I connected an HP DAT24i tape drive to the 50pin secondary
connector. Now I get a "Attention! Insufficient termination detected on SE
devices" error message every time I boot. Oddly enough, everything works just
fine. The Tapeware software preforms backups,verifies, and restores just fine.
The system boots and runs fine also. No problems other than the message. I
presume I should be worried??

Things I've tried so far:
1. YES, I DID CHECK each of the jumper settings for termination.
   All is well. HD is on 0, tape is on 3.
2. Changed the scsi bios (ctrl-a) settings for termination to every option I
could find.
   No difference.
3. For kicks and grins, I changed jumper settings on tape drive.
   No difference.
4. Punt?

- Gary