[ale] Redhat install help!

JEM jevansmc at speakeasy.org
Thu Jan 4 15:54:26 EST 2001

I have ATA66 drives (two of them) that are on a Promise Tech card.
RedHat 7.0 couldn't recognize them on install until I added the
following parameters on the boot.  Then I added same to lilo config and
everything is fine.  These settings appear to be fairly consist for
Promise, but I don't garuantee they work for ATA33:

boot: linux ide2=0x10a8,0x109c ide3=0x10a0,0x1098

Note:  My harddrives are IDE2 and IDE3 (/dev/hde /dev/hdf) because I
have a CD and DVD on the motherboard's IDE connector.

At one point when I was using RedHat 6.2, I had to move the hard drive
connector from the ATA card to the builtin IDE connector on the
motherboard.
RedHat installed just fine, but I had to do some fancy manipulations to
update lilo to be /dev/hdf not /dev/hdd for the linux partition.

However, by getting it up and running with the built-in IDE connector, I
was able to confirm the above command line parameters by looking in
/proc/pci which for the Promise Tech card shows:

    Unknown mass storage controller: Promise Technology Unknown device
(rev 1).
      Vendor id=105a. Device id=4d38.
      Medium devsel.  IRQ 10.  Master Capable.  Latency=64.
      I/O at 0x10a8 [0x10a9].
      I/O at 0x109c [0x109d].
      I/O at 0x10a0 [0x10a1].
      I/O at 0x1098 [0x1099].
      I/O at 0x1000 [0x1001].
      Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xf4020000 [0xf4020000].

Notice how the I/O at lines match the boot settings.

You might consider booting from the install floppy into rescue mode and
see if the /proc/pci has this information visible to you.

Jere

* Michael Smith <MSmith at webtonetech.com> [04-01-2001 11:08 AM -0500]