[ale] Putting an arbitrary process to sleep

Jeff Hubbs Jhubbs at niit.com
Thu Jan 4 14:01:48 EST 2001

> I totally agree with that. I've tried a couple of things to
> get this particular machine to stay cool, and nothing has worked.
> First, I applied a thin coat of thermal grease between heatsink and
> CPU. No help. Then I installed a slot-mounted fan, but
> that didn't help either. The only way I can keep this thing from
> overheating is to run it with the case open, but even then
> sustained 100% load will trigger the temp alarm occasionally.
>
> The machine in question is an AMD K6-2 400Mhz. My other Linux box
> is a K6-2 500Mhz, and it has no problems at all. In both cases
> the PS fan and CPU fan are working fine, and these machines have
> the same heatsink/fan assembly. If I run a process that
> just eats CPU cycles, I can watch the temperatures increase using
> lm-sensors. On the 500 they reach about 45C and stabilize. On the
> 400 they just keep climbing right through 65C. Can anyone suggest
> any thing else to try?

What else is different about the two machines?  What about case fans?  Are
the PS fans blowing the same direction (PS fans really shouldn't suck in
without ducting the hot air right back out, I've found).  When I was trying
to fix overheating on my Athlon, I opened the CPU case and found that the
grease blob on one of the cache chips was way off-center, so I replaced all
the blobs with a nonconducting silver-based grease.  It would be real useful
to have a way to independently sense air temps inside the case - I use a
Fluke DMM with a thermocouple adapter and a bead probe that I can put
wherever I please.  I was checking intake air temp, output air temp,
heatsink surface temp, etc. with it.  http:/www.overclockers.com is a REAL
good place to look for cooling info and links.

- Jeff