[ale] Shutdown porcess

Wandered Inn esoteric at denali.atlnet.com
Tue Jan 2 22:19:07 EST 2001

> Chris Fowler wrote:
>

> shutdown -r calls init with option of 6.  Init then shutsdown the
> machine
> and issues either the /sbin/halt or /sbin/shutdown command.  The
> script that gets executed is /etc/rc.d/rc6.d/S01reboot or
> /etc/rc.d/rc0.d/S01halt
>
>  I need to know that the halt command does.  I believe it sets the
> clean bit on the FS or umounts it.  I'm not sure.

shutdown -h shuts the machine down without rebooting.

You shouldn't have to umount root manually, the shutdown process handles
that.  If your root file system is not getting properly unmounted, then
you've got something else going on, like a process that's not dieing and
therefore keeping the filesystem from being unmounted.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at denali.atlnet.com

The
hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his
intelligence."
- Albert Einstein