[ale] Blocking ad sites with ipchains

Wandered Inn esoteric at denali.atlnet.com
Tue Jan 2 12:08:41 EST 2001

smn wrote:

> OK, I found it... from the IPCHAINS HOWTO:

> I don't want any local process (ie. Netscape, lynx etc.) to connect to
> doubleclick.net:
>
>      # ipchains -A output -d 199.95.207.0/24 -j REJECT
>      # ipchains -A output -d 199.95.208.0/24 -j REJECT
>      #

Old message, but I was looking at doing the same thing and had a
question.  When I pinged doubleclick.net just now, the ip retured was
199.95.206.201, so the above would not work.  Question is, could one
have had just one line:

ipchains -A output -d doubleclick.net -j REJECT

When looking at 'man ipchains'  '-d destination' says check out syntax
for '-s source' which says the 'source' (destination for -d) can be
either an address/mask, hostname, or network name.

Or does doubleclick pull some other kind of stunts such as using
non-doubleclick domain names.

What if you were to put a doubleclick entry into your /etc/hosts file
that points to your own server that then points to a null html file??

????

OR

Would it be better to just write a perl script that strips references to
doubleclick from the actual html?  Invoked via a proxy service?

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at denali.atlnet.com

The
hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his
intelligence."
- Albert Einstein