[ale] Xircom RealPort2 Cardbus prob

Wandered Inn esoteric at denali.atlnet.com
Wed Feb 28 13:34:12 EST 2001

I recently installed Mandrake 7.2 on a Dell laptop that came with a
Xircom RealPort2 Cardbus pcmcia card.  The pcmcia and network card stuff
would get loaded but it would not work.  If I start and stop
/etc/rc.d/init.d/pcmcia, the thing works like a champ, very
consistently.

I then compiled a new kernel and pcmcia stuff.  Still worked as above.
I then recompiled my kernel with ppp support and now the bloody thing
doesn't work.

The led on the hub lights up and if I attempt to ping any of the
machines on the hub, I can see the led blink, so the thing is trying to
send something.

I've compared irqs, syslog output, nothing appears different.  I can
still boot the original kernel and the bloody thing works.

Anyone have any experience with this card, or have any suggestions?

pcmcia version on the original kernel was 3.1.20 and the version with my
new kernel is 3.1.24.  Old kernel was 2.2.17-21mdk, new kernel is
2.2.18.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at denali.atlnet.com

The
hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his
intelligence."
- Albert Einstein