[ale] (OT) OpenBSD

Joseph A. Knapka jknapka at earthlink.net
Tue Feb 27 23:27:32 EST 2001

Kenneth W Cochran wrote:

> >From owner-ale at ale.org  Tue Feb 27 14:57:43 2001
> >Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 12:52:27 -0700
> >From: "Joseph A. Knapka" <jknapka at earthlink.net>
> >Subject: [ale] (OT) OpenBSD
> >
> >Hey folks,
> >
> >I've just finished the process of replacing my Linux IP-masq
> >firewall with an OpenBSD box. This is my first serious attempt
> >to use any open-source OS other than Linux (I tried FreeBSD
> >but it pretty much sucked, and I never put it to serious use),
>
> Hmmm, what version/when?  I've been using FreeBSD (& Linux :)
> for some time now & have been Quite Pleased.  :)

I believe I'll have to retract the FreeBSD suckage comment. I
had problems getting my bootable install CD to boot, and then
I had serious problems getting the network stuff to work, which
is what really soured it for me. But I now recall that I had to
replace one of the NICs in that machine a little while later,
so maybe my problems with FreeBSD were caused by some
hardware flakiness foreshadowing the later NIC death. So
I may give FreeBSD another try soon (since I've got the
4.2 distribution sitting on my desk...).

[Copied to ALE to forestall further defenses of FreeBSD :-]

-- Joe Knapka