[ale] uptime?

Gary Maltzen maltzen at MM.COM
Tue Feb 27 17:04:12 EST 2001

I've now seen several messages that appear to ascribe to me Rob H's rant about driving into work...

I was just trying to point out a solution that wouldn't be such a waste of personal time.

On 24 Feb at 17:05 PST, Jim P said

>I think it is generally accepted by all ALE'rs that any of us who
>associate with WinNT do so from a non-preferential standing.  I did not
>mean to imply that you loved your job. ;)

It's great that you speak for ALL the ALE'rs. Please don't presume to speak for me; especially since I'm *not* from Atlanta.

Actually, I *DO* enjoy my job. Wrong assumption on your part. I get to manage a mixed-platform shop in an exciting environment.

Note: A clear anti-NT position wins no points in my corner; I use the tool most appropriate for the situation. The fact that I am 'enthusiastic' about Linux does NOT preclude my ability to appreciate NT (and BSD).

(Incidentally, I *never* vote for single-issue candidates)

On 24 Feb at 17:05 PST, Jim P said

>> The point of having routine reboot is to clear pending
>> problems (like memory leaks) before they become
>> show-stoppers.
>
>I did find this one comment by you utterly offensive.  Especially to
>those of us who consider systems management a science, not a science
>project.

Whoa! that second sentence was semantically loaded. Is there context to go with it?

At no point did I say this was a "preferable" situation. I fix problems; but the *order* in which I fix problems is based on priorities.