[ale] uptime?

Bao Ha baoh at linuxwizardry.com
Mon Feb 26 10:19:26 EST 2001

Years ago at another lifetime, I used to work for a very big
company in a remote area of SC.

They have a habit of scheduling rebooting their servers at least
once a week to fix a mamory leak problem.  I understand you
may need to do it with WinNT, but AIX?  Give me a break!  AIX is
designed for database transactions.  It is supposed to run forever
like a mainframe, developed by an experienced mainframe manufacturer.

Also one time, we had a visit from a Sun rep.  I think I could feel
his disgust at the way we were using his products.

Since I am the mode of bashing my old company, few years earlier
we were asked to switch from All-in-one to CCmail.  It took a very
long time to accomplish it.  Anyway, during the transition, the mail
processes were running  on Novell Netware and OS/2.  When everybody
was on CCmail, it was decided to go NT all the ways.  It took more
than 3 years and thousands of dollars to send these guys to Redmond
for certifications.  But, IT management decided to skip it to the
next major e-mail evolution, Lotus Note.  NT was never stable enough
to take over the jobs of Netware and OS/2!  The promises of NT 3.5 to
4 and SP1/2/3/4 did not come.

Final note, systems management is not a science, it is an art.  Just
ask those poor sys admin at First Union.  Their banking frontline is
all Unix: Solaris, HP-UX, and AIX.  The portal is going down almost
weekly.  It is not easy to manage a multi-purpose server farm of
hundreds of units, in the class of Sun E4500 and above.