[ale] uptime?

Gary Maltzen maltzen at MM.COM
Sat Feb 24 18:48:18 EST 2001

FWIW, it is NOT me having those problems. I *am* part of a WINNT server management team and our servers do *not* need routine rebooting; I was just responding to another subscribers dilemma with alternative solutions.

The point of having routine reboot is to clear pending problems (like memory leaks) before they become show-stoppers. That issue is relatively platform-independent; if, for example, one of your Apache modules has memory leaks you can either solve the problem "programmatically" (modify the code) or "administratively" (periodic reboot).

I *am* encouraging use of Linux/Apache at work. In fact, my second "fait-accompli" was installation of Apache under NT so staff could see the output of our WebTrends analysis at their personal workstation. (The first was installation of MRTG under Linux to monitor our Cisco router).

Please do not make the mistake of ascribing to me either an NT-centric or Linux-centric orientation. I am not interested in participating in OS wars; I'm interested in providing an appropriate and efficacious solution to a given problem.

Gary/MCSE
Compuserve WINNT Sysop