[ale] Groupware/Office software - Let's keep the borg away!

Jonathan Rickman infosec at alltel.net
Fri Feb 23 11:41:00 EST 2001

On Fri, 23 Feb 2001, Chris Fowler wrote:

> If you keep your mail on the server, netscape will download it each time you
> run messanger.  It still stays on the server.  YOu just have multiple copies
> in the mail program.  Outlook does have an optional web interface.  It only
> works with IE :(

Not true. The Outlook web access component will work in Netscape. The
problem lies in Netscape's inability to authenticate with an IIS server
using NT Challenge/Response. The solution is to use plain text
authentication over SSL.

MS took a shot at locking out Netscape but they apparently overlooked
this, at least in Exchange 5.5. I'm not sure this remains true for 2000.
Of course, they insist this doesn't work. As a result, many admins dont
even consider it and blindly follow MS.

HP Openmail has a similar web interface. I'm not sure about browser
compatability issues with it. Anyone???

--
Jonathan Rickman
X Corps Security