[ale] uptime?

Jim Popovitch jimpop at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 22 13:06:04 EST 2001

All the arguements that eveyone is throwing out for NT involve systems
that are built and then never touched (patched, etc) again.  Clearly
not real world examples.

In this latest example (NT/IIS 4/SP4) clearly it's a server that isn't
up to date.  So can I only assume that with NT servers if you want long
stability, you have to forfeit applying all the weekly patches that
Redmond releases, thus exposing yourself and customers/clients.

  Match this w/ NT:

I have two linux servers that have been up > 200 days.  I don't even
have to go look at them to get the current count, I just *KNOW* that
they are still up (confidence).

These servers have a combination of apache, sendmail, bind, mysql,
mailman, htdig, ssh, and perl.  All those various software packages
have been upgraded or patched at least twice with in the last 200+
days.  Additionally, 5 of the original 8 partitions have been migrated
to newer volumes.  Try that with NT.

Hint: you can't ;)

-Jim P.