[ale] uptime?

Wandered Inn esoteric at denali.atlnet.com
Thu Feb 22 11:24:16 EST 2001

Bao Ha wrote:

> [...]

I still disagree.  Everyone that has posted problems with Linux uptimes,
have added various caveats, as you noted, running an unstable version.
Other's mentioned hardware issues.

I'll tell you this, if you stick enough hardware and software on NT
you'll bring it down.  I tried to convince one of the NT admins to
install mail server on our NT web server.  He told me that Microsoft
recommends not to run two 'mission critical' apps on a single machine.
Now whether this is because they want to sell another NT license or
because they know it can't deal with it I don't know.

My personal experience with NT servers and desktop machines (over the
past 5 years) has been, as noted, if you add enough software/hardware,
NT will go brain dead.

Regarding your web services noted above, # of web sites is not
benchmark, hits/day and complexity of the services (cgi?) would be more
useful.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at denali.atlnet.com

The
hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his
intelligence."
- Albert Einstein