[ale] Ripping Vinyl

joshy joshy at mindspring.com
Thu Feb 22 11:00:42 EST 2001

On Thu, Feb 22, 2001 at 10:49:54AM -0500, David Corbin wrote:

> I'm getting set to turn a bunch of vinyl albums into digital data.   I'm
> sure I can figure out most of the steps on my own.  Right now, I'm
> looking at linux tools that will take a single .wav file (ripped from
> the LP), and convert it into tracks.  So far I've found gramofile, but
> I was wondering if anyone here new of any others.
>
> In a related note, I'm probably going to burn some of these LPs as
> standard audio CDs.  Is there a way to "tricking the world" into
> thinking that it is the SAME as a purchased CD of the same album?  I'm
> not really trying to trick the world, just to have it "hookup with the
> online databases...."

CDDB determines the identity of a CD by running the track numbers and times
through a hashing algorithm. If you borrow a copy of the real CD from someone
and get a list of the track times (or find some other way of getting the
numbers from CDDB) then you could burn your new CD with the same numbers.

Of course if you had a copy of the real CD then you could just burn that,
saving you the trouble, so perhaps it's not worth it.

- Joshua

--
joshyBlog
http://marinacci.org/~joshy/