[ale] uptime?

Marc Vogt mtv at theor.chemistry.gatech.edu
Wed Feb 21 12:40:59 EST 2001

>   Was watching a discussion the other day.  Someone made a snide
> anti-linux comment about everyone pro-linux being so impressed by uptimes
> and how useless they were.
>

>   At anyrate, I started wondering what good is an uptime in reality?  I'd
> like to know a real good use for it.  You can caluculate how since the
> last crash, etc.  I have my own reasons, but what are other good uses for
> this information?
>
> Robert

Speaking from my limited field of view as a scientist, and administrator
of systems dedicated entirely to science, I would have to say that uptime
is a very important statistic.  Each machine's queue is loaded with about 1.5 jobs
per processor all the time and when they die, the jobs die with them
and there is the overhead of restarting and sorting through the rubble.
The more you automate this the softer the blow, but downtime sucks
and a machine that has to be rebooted for every piece of software that
gets put on it is basically a useless machine.

Marc