[ale] detecting an unplugged network cable?

Dan Newcombe Newcombe at mordor.clayton.edu
Tue Feb 20 21:22:33 EST 2001

On Mon, 19 Feb 2001, Wandered Inn wrote:
> So, how is it that Windows demonstrates the fact that the nic is
> unplugged?

Win2k will put a little icon in the system tray which says that it is.
Even more annoying, win2k and ME have options to only start up networking
if it detects you are on a network. As best as I can tell, it looks for
traffic, and if it sees no traffic, you're not on a network.  Pain in the
rear...my home network has zero traffic unless I generate some, so Windows
never though I was on a network.