[ale] vpn and dns

Bao Ha baoh at linuxwizardry.com
Tue Feb 20 11:40:27 EST 2001

No.  /etc/ppp/ip-up is supposed to save the old /etc/resolv.conf.
Make a link to /etc/ppp/resolv.conf so everybody can use the
new DNS.  When the ppp link goes down, /etc/ppp/ip-down is
supposed to undo it, so you get the old /etc/resolv.conf back.

> pptp/ppp do not add a default route, just a host route to the remote
> server.  I then add the default route explicitly.

The server may not have provided a default route to ppp.  Check
if you have "defaultroute" in your ppp options.  It should setup
the other PPP end as the default gateway.

Bao