[ale] vpn and dns

Wandered Inn esoteric at denali.atlnet.com
Tue Feb 20 11:08:10 EST 2001

Bao Ha wrote:

> > From: owner-ale at ale.org [mailto:owner-ale at ale.org]On Behalf
> > Of Wandered
> > Inn
> > > If you are using pptp under pppd, you can set the pppd option,
> > > usepeerdns, to request DNS values, which will be added
> > > automatically to the /etc/resolv.conf file.
> >
> > I've just tried this, although the dns entries show up in
> > /var/log/messages, nothing updates /etc/resolv.conf.  I assume you
> > actually mean updates the actual file?
>
> Yes.  I am confused, since it should work.  Check the /etc/pppd/ip-up
> file.  You can grab the DNS values using the script.  Also, pppd
> sometimes refers to /etc/ppp/resolv.conf.  See if it is setup properly.

Yeah, that's where they are.  Does this mean ppp0 will use
/etc/ppp/resolv.conf rather than /etc/resolv.conf?  I've already written
the script that updates /etc/resolv.conf on the fly, but if ppp0 is
going to look at /etc/resolv.conf, then I'll remove the script.

> > Anyone have any idea why I can't get to other subnets within the vpn
> > network??  I've tried a couple of things, but no luck.
> >

> During the ppp connection, pppd will setup the default gateway based
> on what the server tells it to do.  Check your route table during
> the connection.  You can manipulate it with the /etc/ppp/ip-up and
> /etc/ppp/ip-down script.  The default scripts should work seamlessly
> though.

pptp/ppp do not add a default route, just a host route to the remote
server.  I then add the default route explicitly.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at denali.atlnet.com

The
hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his
intelligence."
- Albert Einstein