[ale] Linux--threatening the American way

Rod Young development at combiz.net
Fri Feb 16 14:26:24 EST 2001

In industry and other interest groups in general the practice is to have
a retreat that lawmakers are invited. The group frequently paying the
way.Issues are discussed and of course the interest groups opinion is the
centerpiece with no dissent. Big problem with our government.

On 02/16/2001, 1:38:25 PM, John Mills <john at mills-atl.com> wrote regarding
Re: [ale] Linux--threatening the American way:

> On Fri, 16 Feb 2001, Joseph A. Knapka wrote:
> > Jim wrote:
> > > This week, Jim Allchin of Microsoft made an idiotic speech before
> > > Congress, trying to persuade them that open source software was a
> > > dangerous trend and something they ought to limit. He went so far as to
> > > claim that it "threatens innovation". Of course, we all know that
> > > Microsoft's definition of innovation means using monopoly power to crush
> > > competitors and steal ideas. Maybe that's more like the American way
> > > that Allchin has in mind. You can read all about this drivel at:

http://news.cnet.com/investor/news/newsitem/0-9900-1028-4825719-RHAT.html?tag=
ltnc
> > Egad. What a load of crap. I hope they get ESR to come talk to
> > them too.

> FUD - I ran a search on Allchin and on Microsoft against the
Congressional