[ale] Linux--threatening the American way

Jeff Hubbs Jhubbs at niit.com
Fri Feb 16 13:34:19 EST 2001

I really get mad about the way some people use rhetoric.

The "American Way," huh?  I guess it all depends on what kind of "American"
you're trying to be.

Slashdot's Jon Katz often uses the term "Corporate Republic" to describe not
some future, science-fictionny time but a condition at which we have already
arrived, one where corporations have more influence and guidance over
day-to-day life than any other entity.

Microsoft is well into the process of being one of those corporations.  They
have already shown that they can boss around a municipality (their license
audit of Virginia Beach); how long before it's a county?  A state?  With
their steady progress toward massive interconnectivity of their operating
system (.NET), to just what extent is MS in the process of getting
everyone's "off button" under their thumb?  At what point will corporations
be in as good or better of a position to conduct foreign policy, carry out
sanctions, or even wage war than governments?

It is important for MS to influence the rule of law as much as possible; it
is the last thing, barring mass revolt, standing in their way.

Sure, there are more massive companies than MS, like GM.  But, if I buy a GM
car, no matter which one I buy, I still get to line up the car into turns
myself.  MS has a much deeper level of control over the VERY USE of its
products than that.

- Jeff