[ale] Linux--threatening the American way

Vernard Martin vernard at cc.gatech.edu
Thu Feb 15 21:35:37 EST 2001

> This week, Jim Allchin of Microsoft made an idiotic speech before
> Congress, trying to persuade them that open source software was a
> dangerous trend and something they ought to limit. He went so far as to
> claim that it "threatens innovation". Of course, we all know that
> Microsoft's definition of innovation means using monopoly power to crush
> competitors and steal ideas. Maybe that's more like the American way
> that Allchin has in mind. You can read all about this drivel at:

This is actually even worse for me as Jim Allchin is a phd  alumnus of the
Information and Computer Science dept of Georgia Tech where he worked on the
CLOUDS project which was the world's first object oriented distributed. It was
a novel concept and very innovative. Now Jim has bought into the mindset of
industry and forgotten his academic roots. I wonder if he would be happy to
hear that GaTech's systems group is wholeheartedly embracing open-source
technology now and has gone so far as to run linux on ll of its clusters versus
using Windows technology.

I wonder if Jim really believes the rhetoric that he is spoooouting or is
simply following party line to advance his copanies position. Either way, its
hard to respect his opinionwhen he resorts to such tactics.

Vernard
--
Vernard Martin (vernard at cc.gatech.edu) Darkness has a hunger that's insatiable
http://www.cc.gatech.edu/~vernard/     Lightness has a call that's hard to hear