[ale] kernel question

Joseph A. Knapka jknapka at earthlink.net
Thu Feb 15 14:00:51 EST 2001

> "I. Herman" wrote:
>
> I have downloaded the 2.4 kernel and am currently running the 2.217
> kernel.
>
> How do I go about recomiling that?  Should I of downloaded the huge
> amount of patches, or am i good with the 24MB file I downloaded.
>
> If I do go with what I have....after I tar zxvf it....then what?  Do
> the typical configure/make thing?  I don't wanna mess up what I
> already have.

Read the kernel-building HOWTO:

http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Kernel-HOWTO.html

And just to emphasize, *read the Documentation/Changes file* in the
kernel source tree!!!  It tells you really important stuff like the
minimum versions of various system utilities you'll need in order to
successfully run the new kernel, and where to get them.

It's not hard to set up your system to boot multiple kernels, so
it's easy to try out the new kernel and revert to the old one if
you have trouble.

-- Joe Knapka