[ale] scuse my ingnorance but What is colocation?

Jeff Hubbs Jhubbs at niit.com
Thu Feb 15 11:18:28 EST 2001

The distinction is basically this:  with colo, it's your box - you bring it,
you run it, you own it.  The hoster provides little more than Ethernet,
power, and cooling.

With dedicated hosting, it's the hoster's box and, to one degree or another,
the hoster runs it.  You do get to put your site and other software on it,
naturally, and you typically get root or equiv.

With shared hosting, all you provide is your site; the hoster decides on
what and how it's hosted.

- Jeff