[ale] Hanging problem.

Prabhu Kubendran prabhu.kubendran at wipro.com
Wed Feb 14 23:55:43 EST 2001

hi Eric,
    Actually i found that it was a keyboard hang and not the system hang. i
was able to telnet from other pc and use it. What may be the cause for it.

thanx,
/prabu.

"Eric Z. Ayers" wrote:

> Prabhu Kubendran wrote:
> >
> > hi all,
> >
> >                          We are creating a minimised version of linux
> > from Redhat linux 6.2. We have stripped of  many unwanted things which
> > are not needed for our application. Now we are facing the problem of
> > random hanging. Is there any methods of  debugging such a problem or is
> > there any log files from where we can find reason for this problem.
> >
> > Thanx,
> > /prabu.
>
> one method we have used is to redirect the console messages to a serial
> port, and then log them on another computer.  Occasionally write some
> interesting info out to /dev/console via a script from cron.
>
> I will tell you that we have commonly had problems with DMA and IDE
> disks. We have this problem when working off of CD-ROM as well as with
> hard disks.
>
> I put:  hdparm -d 0 /dev/hd?
> in our boot scripts
>
> If you have only installed on one computer, you might try the
> 'memtest86' program just to check the hardware (this program is
> independent of Linux)
>
> -Eric.

begin:vcard
n:kubendran;prabu
tel;work:5364801/7 extn: 166
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:www.wipro.com
org:Wipro Technologies;HomeNet
version:2.1
email;internet:prabhu.kubendran at wipro.com
title:Software Engineer
adr;quoted-printable:;;37, samrudhi bhavan,=0D=0ACastle Street,=0D=0AAshok Nagar,=0D=0A;Bangalore;Karnatakka;560021;India
fn:Prabu
end:vcard