[ale] Is it hacked?

djinn at djinnspace.com djinn at djinnspace.com
Mon Feb 12 00:40:20 EST 2001

Unfortunately, if it was cracked with any standard root kit, there wouldn't be
much you could look for if you didn't have any sort of checksums (tripwire or
even homemade) from when the box was created on binaries like ps, ls, and
netstat...preferably the checksums burned to CD somewhere.
>From your home machine, or a machine that's not on the network with this box, run
netcat against all the ports to see what's listening, as well as nmap.  nmap
your.ip.address.here   should tell you what the box is actually listening for.

There's some excellent resources at www.securityfocus.com for how to lock down a
linux box, as well as what to do once you've been cracked and how to find out if
you've been cracked.  I hope it was just the users screwing up. :)

And our very own Bob Toxen has written a pretty thorough book on linux security,
so I'm sure he can correct anything I've gotten wrong. :)

jenn