[ale] WinME w/DSL to ipchains firewall w/DSL

Joseph A. Knapka jknapka at earthlink.net
Thu Feb 8 12:41:12 EST 2001

Gary MacKay wrote:

> What is the best way to connect up this remote site? I have a complete
> network with a Novell server behind a linux/ipchains firewall with a DSL
> connection. There is a remote site that has only a WindowsME (yech) computer
> plugged into it's own DSL connection direct.
>
> Problem:
> 1. I need the remote computer to be able to run programs (pcAnywhere or VNC)
> on the netware server behind the firewall.
>
> 2. Both the remote pc and anyone on the host network side, need to be able
> to print to two different printers (one serial, one parallel) at the remote
> site.
>
> Question:
> 1. Can I establish a VPN somehow between the Windows box and the linux box?

Possibly you can use FreeS/WAN for this, but I don't know for sure. If
so it would save you a lot of trouble (though, of course, probably
causing
its own kind of trouble :-)

For VNC access without a VPN, use SSH to forward a local port to the
VNC server on the machine behind the firewall. The proper way to do this
is detailed on the VNC web site ( http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc ).
It will work from any OS that has an SSH client VNC client available.

> 2. If so, can the two printers plugged into it be "shared" so anyone (remote
> or local) print to them?

This is more problematic. If you do have a VPN, of course, you can just
set Samba up appropriately and it will work. Without a VPN, there
does not seem to be any convenient way to do this. You can tunnel
SMB over SSH, and this works for disk shares, but not for
printer shares, and I don't understand why.

Maybe you can pick up a cheap old PC and run a Linux firewall at the
remote site as well? Then you can at least use PPP-over-SSH to
establish a VPN even if you don't want to mess with FreeS/WAN.

-- Joe Knapka