[ale] (Advocacy) looking for opinions

Kenneth W Cochran kwc at world.std.com
Thu Feb 8 09:07:20 EST 2001

Hi,

I was once a sys/netadmin for an Agency of the State of
Alabama & co-chaired (miss a meeting, get "volunteered" :)
1-2 of the State's Web/e-commerce advisory committees.

We had almost these exact discussions & (more or less) came to
the following conclusions with regard to these kinds of practices:

1.  "Best viewed with" (& especially "Get ...") *any* kind
    of browser was indeed considered advertising, and in
    this case, forbidden by State (& maybe Federal) Laws.
    (Sorry, no citation, but we all thought it would be the
    Right Thing To (not) Do.)

2.  Coding to *any* specific browser ran risks of being
    *not* compatible with other browsers, especially
    text-mode browsers.  This has some implications &
    for public accessibility, especially with
    handicapped-access.

    a.  By both Federal & State Law(s) & Regulation(s)
	(IIRC/IIUC), *all* government agencies
	(Federal/State/Local) are *required* to make their
	information, especially "public" information,
	available in vendor-neutral methods/manners.

    b.  IIRC/IIUC practices such as this run some risks of
	non-compliance with things like the Americans with
	Disabilities Act, aka the ADA.

An upshot of all this was at least for a while, we managed
to get Web developers to "think" about the ramifications of
what they were doing & to consider issues such as these
while designing & implementing sites.  As you (& "they")
could see, there are both "carrots" & "sticks" involved...

Related resources such as http://www.anybrowser.org have
seemed helpful too.

I suppose if you *really* wanted to press them, you
probably Know What To Do...

-kc