[ale] CD-RW on Linux 2.4

James Kinney jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Thu Feb 1 18:00:09 EST 2001

That's because it's not in block devices. It's now in ATA/IDE/MFM/RLL
support under the Block devices section there. You need to NOT select
ATAPI CD support and select SCSI emulation support instead.

Here's the help:

CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDESCSI:

This will provide SCSI host adapter emulation for IDE ATAPI devices,
and will allow you to use a SCSI device driver instead of a native
ATAPI driver.

This is useful if you have an ATAPI device for which no native
driver has been written (for example, an ATAPI PD-CD or CDR drive);
you can then use this emulation together with an appropriate SCSI
device driver. In order to do this, say Y here and to "SCSI support"
and "SCSI generic support", below. You must then provide the kernel
command line "hdx=scsi" (try "man bootparam" or see the
documentation of your boot loader (lilo or loadlin) about how to
pass options to the kernel at boot time) for devices if you want the
native EIDE sub-drivers to skip over the native support, so that
this SCSI emulation can be used instead. This is required for use of
CD-RW's.