[ale] Server opinion please

Lathe magius at wittsend.com
Thu Feb 1 08:27:23 EST 2001

I've always looked at hardware requirements to be very closely associated
with usage.  Now for a web server, the key usage points there aren't just
restricted to the server applications running, but includes estimated
bandwidth utilization as well as expected number of hits by users, etc.

Ram will help if you expect a great deal of httpd instances, and cpu is big
for a large number of cgi processes.  Now this is all just by example, there
are a lot of variables in the question.

But for the systems, bigger might be better if you expect you may have to
scale your environment later, but if cost is a big issue right now, you may
wish to stick with what would currently be sufficient enough to handle your
load, i.e. if you are contemplating the smaller of the 2, then that's be the
one to get.

Hope that helps

Scott Warfield