[ale] Debian 2.2 + Kernel 2.4

hirsch at zapmedia.com hirsch at zapmedia.com
Mon Dec 31 09:36:04 EST 2001

The errors about respawing too fast are the getty that run on the
vitural terminals (VTs).  I wonder if you have /dev/tty1, /dev/tty2,
etc.

Are you logging in directly to X?  If so, what happens if you do
CTRL-ALT-F1?  Do you get the login prompt?

I wonder if there is a problem with devfs.  I think that is standard
with 2.4.x, but requires a patch for 2.2.x.  If your system didn't use
it before but the new kernel does, or vice versa you could get these
kinds of messages.

--Michael

David Corbin writes:
 > I've a debian 2.2 system.  I need USB support, so I figured I'd upgrade
 > to Kernel 2.4.17 (the latest).

 > I followed the instructions available from debian, which basically says
 > to upgrade a bunch of packages.  Built the kernel, and booted.
 >
 > Everything is functioning OK, from my perspective, but in the syslog
 > file I find
 >
 > Dec 30 14:25:12 mercury modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module char-major-4
 > Dec 30 14:25:43 mercury last message repeated 22 times
 > Dec 30 14:26:43 mercury last message repeated 37 times
 > Dec 30 14:26:52 mercury init: Id "1" respawning too fast: disabled for 5
 > minutes
 > Dec 30 14:26:52 mercury init: Id "2" respawning too fast: disabled for 5
 > minutes
 > Dec 30 14:26:52 mercury init: Id "3" respawning too fast: disabled for 5
 > minutes
 > Dec 30 14:26:52 mercury init: Id "4" respawning too fast: disabled for 5
 > minutes
 > Dec 30 14:26:53 mercury init: Id "5" respawning too fast: disabled for 5
 > minutes
 > Dec 30 14:26:53 mercury init: Id "6" respawning too fast: disabled for 5
 > minutes
 >
 > Now, I don't KNOW that this started when I upgraded my kernel, but it is
 > likely.  Anybody want to make any suggestions?
 >
 > Thanks.
 > David
 >

 > ---
 > sent to listmaster at ale dot org.