[ale] PCI Bus (2.2 vs 2.4)

Dan Singhal dsinghal at speakeasy.net
Sun Dec 30 17:55:06 EST 2001

OK, folks, I'm at a loss ... (those of you who know me will realize how many
things I've at least tried to tear open before admitting defeat :)

I am converting another win9x box into a linux machine (it's hard to run a
webserver and a good database and a message board all off of one poor 32M
Pentium 133!!!  I should upgrade /something/) ...

I installed slackware, no problems.  It boots up with 2.2.16 (I think ...
the last of the 2.2 series , whichever that is) ... finds things, everyone
is happy ... I compile 2.4.15 (latest 2 weeks ago) and it says "PCI:  Not
Supported" ...

Checked my .config, all the PCI things are on ... Tried like 4 different 2.4
kernels, same problem ... turned on everything I could think of ... same
result ...

I fished around until I found the .config for the slackware boot-disk 2.2
kernel, and compiled that -- worked.  slowly turned things off -- still
worked ... I think I was down to "support PCI" as the only PCI option
selected, and a PCI NIC (being my major reason for caring) selected ...
still works ... So it doesn't /seem/ to be the chipset needing a special
"bugfix" enabled (not that I don't have them all on anyway) ... It doesn't
/seem/ to be the fact that /proc/pci is gone (i turned off the "backwards
compatable /proc/pci" in the 2.2 config) ... It just says that PCI is not
supported on this system when it tries to detect, /proc/bus/pci is MIA on
2.4 (which should be the replacement to /proc/pci i think) ...

Is there some majikal thing I need to forcibly set (I know 2.4.10 wouldn't
compile on the last machine until I enabled SMP for no particular reason
[kept giving errors with module kernel signing or whatever that step really
is ...)

Any suggestions?  Any clues?  Any rituals?

--dan

---