[ale] Coolpix 885

Gene Matthews gene at mmc-inc.com
Thu Dec 27 09:13:45 EST 2001

I just got a Kodak DX3900.  It was one of the few I could find that
supported PTP (Picture Transfer Protocol).  The linux program jphoto
supports this (http://jphoto.sourceforge.net/).

I haven't gotten it to work with the cradle, but hooking the usb cable
directly up to the camera, i can from the command line:

jphoto images

and it will upload all the images from the camera's compact flash into a
  images directory (or you can specify another location).  All of the
Kodak DX series cameras and a couple of Sony's support it.  There may be
more that do, but I couldn't determine if they did or not.

However, the compact flash readers are pretty inexpensive I think, so if
you can get that to work,

David Corbin wrote:

> I was fortunate enough to get a digital camera (Nikon Coolpix 885) for
> Christmas.  It uses Compact Flash to store images, and communicates to a
> PC via USB.
>
> I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on links to information on
> using such with Linux.
>
> Thanks.
>

> ---
> should be sent to listmaster at ale dot org.

---